Friday, March 1, 2013

Budget 2013: Tax on Super Rich

Dear Hon. FinMin Mr. PC,

You are indeed the wily statesman - I noted this is how you introduced the tax on super rich: There are 42,800 persons - let me repeat, only 42,800 persons - who ADMITTED to a taxable income exceeding Rs.1 crore per year.

I'm sure you would be well aware and, might I hypothesize, quite interested in statistics. Here's one: There are 156 MPs (i.e. 29% of Lok Sabha) "who ADMITTED to a taxable income exceeding Rs.1 crore per year"... Compare this with 33ppm (parts per million :P) crorepatis amongst the rest of the population in India....

Does this call for a tax surcharge on the MPs?? Mr PC, Charity indeed begins at home :P The next time you think of the statement, "When I need to raise resources, who can I go to?" Look to your Left, then your Right - and then definitely at the Centre - and you shall have all your answers :)

Yours Sincerely,
A Tax-Payer :)

No comments: