Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Experience to Remember - Part 3

Dear Blog,

The last post ended with, “Retire for the day”... Did that mean Sleep?? Hardly... For those lucky souls who managed to “sign-out” on day 1, it was ecstasy while for others, it was anticipation and tension. 

0500 Hrs: SAC heard again – “Good Morning Juniors”... but the Cactus tree was pushed into oblivion. Whether it was due to unavailability of lead singers or due to sheer sense, it was welcome. Nevertheless, the whole XL was assembled in the holding area at 0600 hrs. There were more companies slotted for the day... more shortlists(extended and otherwise), more GDs (and more loud voices) and more PIs. And to make matters worse, there was desperation in those loud voices too. But then, as they say... jaako raakhe saaiyan maar sake na koi... the hand of god waived and some voices signed out... 

1400 Hrs: My third GD of the day and I lost track of time...

The situation was a prime case-study for any psychology student. While some students were joyous, others were indifferent and still others were angry (at themselves, process, authorities or anyone who could be blamed) and the remaining had plummeted to depths of despair. That the results were withheld (due to “sound logic” to avoid “process complications”) only added to the problem. It was the day the first signs of eye-swells started showing up. The rivers behind the lacrymals were ready to pierce the dams guarding them. Night dawned, but it was only virtual. There was no end to the process that day or for the days that followed.

As they say, it is the times of despair when you seek the quantum of solace... It is these times that bring the best of relations to forefront. The best of friends can become staunch rivals in face of adversity but SIP was different. Each second round interview shortlist was greeted with applause despite people not finding themselves on it. There were people who kept getting shortlists (I tracked mine till 20+ before I lost count) some kept converting GDs (hail the GD gods and goddesses) too... The sign-out was still a long way. It was time when people who once having prided themselves on having got into XL starting doubting if they were actually worth it. People who thought they had seen life enough were in for a shock. Amidst all this there were old ties being strengthened and new relations being formed... 

And once again, I found my best pals right beside me... but this time, there were many more... and boy, am I glad for that!!!

I didn’t hear my name being called out for sign-outs... But the call for treat at Regent (which I shall undertake someday) told me, I dint need to spend another night thinking what I was doing wrong... or another day thinking what I could do right!!!

What remains to be mentioned is the mentoring and a lot more I received through the process... And owing to the sheer size of task and emotion, that merits a new post...

MMM

Earlier in the series: Part 1, Part 2

2 comments:

harsha said...

It's one hell of an experience aint it? XL has much more in store for u...Buckle up and enjoy teh ride!!!!!

Puneet said...

Tht it is.. everything in XL thus far has been an unique xperience in itself.. and I was startin to think, this was it.. but now tht u say it.. looking forward to new experiences :)